Old February 23rd 05, 05:41 PM
Dude

wrote in message
It also matters what type of trees you try that mushing in.

Please read "How to Crash an Airplane and Survive" by Mick Wilson,
formerly FAA DEN FSDO Safety Program Manager.

He tells us we want to fly just above stall speed, in landing
configuration. Please do not attempt to "mush it in".

Sparky Imeson, of "The Mountain Flying Bible" tells us to "fly the
aircraft as far into the crash as possible", that is, "keep flying the
aircraft".

We cite both of these excellent writers and aviators in the Colorado
Pilots Association's Mountain Flying Course. See:
www.coloradopilots.org

Yes, I fly (any two of):
Mountains
Night
IFR

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/

All good stuff guys. The mushing in I heard of was mostly Florida stuff.
Most places where I fly, the bases of the trees are not an option - its too
thick, and you cannot see them. You certainly cannot see them at night.
Also, mushing isn't the best term as it means different things to different
folks.

The east vs. west thing is great. The type of trees matters a lot if you
think about it. But are you really going to be able to tell?

Also, the plane type would matter. Let's face it, not all planes are of
similar crashworthiness.

One real problem is going to be aiming between the trees. If you have no
experience with skiing or biking or something similar, that may be more than
most folks can accomplish.

I am naturally not a go with the odds guy. I have to train to overcome my
desire to calculate and decide based on all the apparent evidence vs. what
is most likely to work in all cases. I often get the impression that some
flight advice is like betting on the favorite horse even if he is limping.