Old May 7th 05, 03:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:NaVee.54780$NU4.23676@attbi_s22...
I'm old enough to remember that in the 70s, "climatologists" were
certain that the earth was fast falling into another Ice Age. In the
U.S. the hysteria was such that they even held highly publicized
Congressional hearings on the topic.

Yes, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I remember this
"Ice Age" outcry well.

I also remember the many reputable "researchers" claiming that all the

"oil
will be gone by the year 2000." (Actually, some were claiming 1990.)

Um...the first ones said we'd run out in the 80's...that's the 1880's.
Seriously!!

Those arguments have been with us en mass for 100 years, always with a 10-20
year horizon.

Julian Simon made hash of that nonsense.

A good reference is Charles Maurice and Charles Smithson's _The Doomsday
Myth: 10,000 years of Economic Crisis_.