Old June 21st 05, 02:02 AM
Ben Hallert

Without disagreeing, I'd like to chime in that when learning pilotage,
I found the outlined areas on the TAC for LA to be very helpful at
figuring out where I was with precision when all else failed. There
are a lot of 'water towers' and 'radio masts' and whatnot there, so
just because I'd find a likely looking landmark wouldn't mean I was
where I thought I was.

I had a hairy moment during my checkride trying to find an airport with
a half washed out runway near Camarillo (I think it was Santa Maria)
that the examiner wanted me to point out to him. The city outline
helped me do some triangulation when ye olde Mk I Eyeball initially
failed. Great examiner (GB should id him to the locals), not only did
it give me a real challenge to demonstrate pilotage (and as a result
'put up or shut up'), but he didn't give me an engine failure while I
was circling and looking, for which I'm grateful.