Old September 17th 12, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

Default Shortening PowerFLARM Brick Antenna and GPS cables

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:27:47 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 9/16/2012 7:18 PM, wrote:

I took apart the GPS antenna which has by far the LONGEST excess of

cable in the brick PowerFlarm setup. It's a wee bit trickier

soldering than on the PF antennas, but if you're inclined it's not a

huge task. I removed probably 6' of cable. I left the butterfly

display back at the gliderport so I haven't been able to test it, but

I'm confident it will work. The shield is soldered to one spot and

the center conductor is soldered to a small pad on the PC board. The

only trick is the careful trimming of the shield and conductor

insulation to match what they did. It's also fairly easy to remove

and re-use the strain relief.

The GPS antenna cable doesn't carry high frequency RF, so tidiness is

the only value in reducing the length.

email me)

Eric, so why do we need a GPS antenna wire if the signal from the satellite magically gets to the receiver without the RF signal first going through the antenna wire :=P