Old April 1st 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

I don’t know maybe put something in the glider. If you have to bail out hope you land near the glider. I grew up in Alaska. It’s possible to kill a bear with a pistol but it’s pretty sporty. I had friends that did it. We usually carried .44 magnum wheel guns while hiking.

When I was flying Twin Otters on the North Slope. There was a story floating around about a guy at one of the DEW Line sights killing a Polar Bear that broke in with a 9 mm. Don’t know if it’s true.

Of course you could take my copilots position. We were in Kaktovik (Barter Island on the Canadian border) I had forgotten my .44. There was a couple of Polar Bears milling around close by. My copilot carried a 9 mm. I asked him if he thought he could kill a Polar Bear with his 9 mm. He told me he didn’t need to he would just shoot me in the leg and stay ahead of me....