Old February 14th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Ferry Pilot Down

wrote in news:447d6879-b1c4-404d-a5d5-
:

NWPilot, and a very small group of pilots, perform
a very vital service to the aviation community.

Very Vital Service

it takes a very special group of pilots to ferry "small"
aircraft over the two big "ponds" off the east and west coasts of the
North American continent.

Yea, we have balls larger then an elephant and very strong mental
ability's to keep it cool under the pressure flying aircraft with
extensively modified
fuel systems in over weight conditions over unfavorable terrain in
marginal weather conditions. Then doing an ILS or some other approach
after being cooped up for 15 hours or more.

The North Atlantic, like the North Pacific,
can be fatal to anyone who "screws the pooch". It appears, that in

this
case, a mechanical failure may have occurred and the airplane went

down,
taking the pilot with it. However, none of us in this NG knows the
exact details of this accident and probably will never know.

Correct, Unless they fish the plane out and some times they do.

I have never been to Iowa City and have not
stayed at Jay's establishment. He, and Mary, bust their asses off to
run a great little business.

Yes, they do and I patronize it when ever possible.

I thank Jay for posting usually ditching's such as this are not even a
headline on a newspaper.

Thanks again jay ignore the childish flamers.

Yeah, one of whom was doing it long before GPS or loran...

Bertie