Old August 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Alaska Crashes Should Serve To Remind All Pilots That Mother Nature Is Always In Char

FlyCherokee writes:

I wonder about the same thing with XM in-plane weather (apparently)
showing thunderstorm location in great detail. I could see some
pilots being drawn in too close, based on the data shown on their
screens, and then finding out too late that they are in the bad stuff.

I've read a number of articles that are critical of XM weather for this
reason. I don't know much about XM weather, but from what I understand of it,
I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were a pilot. It sounds like a
convenience rather than a reliable safety-of-life system.

Then again, there are a lot of things that I wouldn't rely on as a pilot that
other pilots seem to take as gospel. Some of the behaviors I see described by
pilots or even illustrated by them on YouTube worry me, assuming that these
people really are licensed pilots.