Old August 17th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Alaska Crashes Should Serve To Remind All Pilots That Mother Nature Is Always In Char

"Morgans" wrote in message

In this crash I wonder if there was any avionics on board that displays
terrain warnings, even a handhelt PDA type that causes terrain in
conflict to show up red on the display. I would think there would be a
strong desire for Alaska pilots to have a handheld terrain warning or
better, because of the frequency of mountaintops getting obscured with
fog, and the general ruggedness of the terrain they have to deal with on
a day by day basis.

How about everyone on the group? Would you insist on terrain warning if
you flew in Alaska?

No. I didn't have any when I flew there. And, it wouldn't have been of any
significant value - in a Cessna 120 you fly through the passes, not over
the peaks...

Plus, I generally consider what I can see out the window to likely be more
representitive of reality than something that comes out of a computer data
base.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com