Old March 20th 04, 01:40 AM
Jim Doyle

"M. H. Greaves" wrote in message
i saw a film that they tried to make the F4 Phantom a russian fighter!

that
said, the chances of getting a REAL russian plane for the film would be
pretty slim!
In 633 sqdn they used me108's because they couldnt get a 109!

Same with 'Von Ryan's Express' - rocket firing 108's! Also didn't Donald
Pleasence get shot after James Gardner crashed theirs in 'The Great Escape'?

In the film Memphis Belle, they had a Bf109 with a Merlin engine (same
engine as in the spitfire and the P51), so they could have a mostly

genuine
enemy plane (well apart from the engine).
Of course there werent any originally engined 109's available.

Just the one actually, 'Black 6' at Duxford - (has since crashed into a
field at the hands of the then CinC Strike!)

In the original Pearl Harbour they took the two rudders off a B25 and put

cardboard fin in the middle, to make it look like something else (what, i
dont know!!).
I think we could go on and on, with this!
he he!
regards, Mark.
"Stephen Harding" wrote in message
Cub Driver wrote:

Great movie, by the way--Empire of the Sun, I mean. But did you notice
that the entire tail section of the "Zero" turned? Probably it was an
AT-6 with a pointy tail cone pasted on.

This makes me wonder just what sort of "modifications" are
typically done by Hollywood to create actual flying aircraft
no longer in existence, or just not available to fly.

Obviously, the main "trick" is simply paint the aircraft in
the correct national markings. Thus a P-51 becomes an Me 109,
an AT-6 a Zero (seems the most common role for a Texan in a
movie). Some F-86s can become "Migs", and I vaguely recall
a C-47 becoming a G4M Betty at one time.

JN-4 "Jennies" served as German and British/US fighters in the
WWI movies of the 20's and 30's. Just a splash of paint and
a roundel made it a Sopwith Camel, or a black cross and it was
a "Fokker".

I believe in "Memphis Belle" a B-17G was converted to an F by
actual removal of the nose turret. Addition of a tail cone
to make an AT-6 into a Zero seems more than necessary, but
some directors are detail focused.

Then of course there are "faux warbird" props. Even during
WWII when the real thing might have been available, you often
see some dummied up aircraft. I think John Wayne in "Flying
Tigers" had some plywood P-40s with propellers that would
lazily spin trying to imitate a squadron cranking up for an
intercept. I think the BoB TV movie "Piece of Cake" used
some dummied up Spits for ground scenes as well. Didn't some
of them spin props too?

Of course with the increasing power of F/X in movies, you can
now film formations worth of Me 262s attacking B-24s or
whatever. The need for the actual warbird is pretty much gone.

SMH