Old April 24th 17, 02:29 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) View Post
Sounds great to me! In the US, high tow is predominate although low tow is taught.
Our club is one of 2(?) in the US that predominantly use low tow although we also teach high tow.
We have tested "going too low" and the towplane still has elevator available whereas going to high runs the towplane out of elevator.
If the glider pilot gets way out of position, the time difference is not much between the 2 tow types in my opinion.

Not trying to start a "conversation regarding which to use", just noting what we do. This can turn ugly fast, even worse than US contest rules discussions.......

PS, lost a friend during tow a couple decades ago while he was towing with a "known squirrel" on the glider end. The towplane was a L19 and went in from about 300' when the glider went too high in front of a couple dozen onlookers.
Not sure low tow would have helped.
Charlie, a big part of the problem here were the squirrels but the inadequacy of the release in the tug is just as much my concern. I am a student of body language and facial expression and emotion. I do not believe some people should be allowed to fly, their head is not in it, they are mechanical, they are not seat of the pants, hard wired into the situation. In the future I will reserve the right to NOT tow someone.

Walt