Old May 9th 17, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

Default Splittng a GPS antenna to multiple devices

Jim,

I just got my splitter (the one that you used) and a GPS antenna from Digikey with the catchy part number ANT-GPS-SH-SMA-ND and connected it to my Power-FLARM, Clearnav 2 and Clearnav vario and the speed to find satellites was markedly faster on all three devices. The antenna now gets the most primo position and has a great sky view. This is a great solution, thanks for suggesting it.

The other thing I needed to make this work was a couple of cables - some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To connect to the Clearnavs and one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To connect to the FLARM.

The FLARM manual clearly says don't do this. Huh. When I did it locked in a good GPS signal markedly faster. The lack of interference from nearby antennae plus the optimal positioning of the single antenna early seemed to pay off.