Maybe you can find the source of the ClearNav II display.Â* Or just
the display
for the Dell Streak 5...

Good luck!

On 9/15/2017 10:15 AM, jfitch wrote:

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:29:47 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

On 9/14/2017 10:46 PM, jfitch wrote:

snip
When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured"

I guess you're talking specifically about smart phones, because my
ClearNav II is (subjectively) many times brighter than my Dell
Streak 5 which itself is brighter than any smart phone I've seen to
date.Â* Admittedly I have neither seen them all nor tested any
objectively.

That said, why worry about battery life when it's so simple to take
a USB panel mount cable, cut off the computer end, and make it into
a power jack for your phone (red and black wires connected to your
DC bus)?Â* Or simply purchase a portable 5v
lithium battery which will fit easily in the side pocket.

--

Dan, 5J

I don't worry about battery life as I have the iPhone plugged into the ship's LFP battery. But the manufacturers of these phones do worry about it, that's why the displays aren't as bright as they could be. The dedicated panel displays tend to be brighter as small portable battery power is not a consideration. Phones and PDAs are built for a market which values battery life over sunlight readability. The downside of dedicated panel displays is it locks you into a particular manufacturer's solution which is frozen at that point on the technology curve, at a very high price. They aren't getting rich on them, there is just a cost difference between building 500 over the life of a product vs. 50,000,000 per quarter, as Apple does. They are saying the iPhone X will be in short supply because they can only produce 10,000 a DAY!

What I would like to have (and have been working on in the background) is a panel display that mirrors a smart phone. It could be very bright, and still have the advantages of using a high volume consumer device for all the connectivity/computation/memory etc. You would not be trapped into a single solution.

--

Dan, 5J

Why not run a yotaphone? E-ink on one side...