Old May 13th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default I give up, after many, many years!

Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:09:10 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

One of my favorite quotations of all time is this. Gregory Peck, when

he
had just hit the big time in the early fifties, and his gang showed up
at a fancy restaurant. The Maitre'd informed them it would be some

time
before they could be seated. One of his entourage stepped up to the
Maitre'd and said, excuse me, but do you know who this is?" Peck

pulled
him aside and said to him "If ya gotta tell 'em who you are, you

ain't"
I think of this every time I see a guy with watch with 47 functions on
it.

Bertie

my criteria for a flying watch was borne of absolute necessity. it is
that the face is plain enough that I can reliably read the time in no
more than a glance. ...because that is as long a period as you get.

my 3 watches are in the seconds per week accuracy range, quartz
movements, all three cost under $75 and in fact two of them together
cost under $60.

they are actual flying watches.

I've never been able to ever get anyone to believe me that that is
actually what you need in a flying watch.
two were made by loris and one by swatch.

how the hell could you ever read a 47 function watch in teeth shaking
turbulence?
zulu time in the little window???? that's what the watch on the odd
side wrist is set to!

Well, I only use the airplane's clock in flight, and there's precious
little need for that these days ( I was recently asked why I punch the
stopwatch passing the marker by a training captain not too long ago) The
wris****ch is only as a backup in flight. It doesn't have a stop watch
function at all, though I probably would have one if the airplane didn't
have one for flying instruments.

Bertie