Old December 17th 03, 12:51 PM
nooneimportant

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
news:YeJDb.407758$275.1280770@attbi_s53...
Over recent Thanksgiving weekend, I went to San Jose with one stopover,
Dallas. I noticed and unusual procedure at Dallas. After boarding the
American S-80 (MD-80), the plane was ready for a push-back. All of sudden,
I heard engines roared loud as the plane push-back at higher than normal
speed. I was confused at first, but became clear when I spotted a S-80,

that
parked next to us, used the same procedure. They do not use the tug to aid
the push-back. They rely on engines to push the plane back. Same thing
occurred on returning trip. This must be a common practice at Dallas.
Anybody know why they use this procedure. I thought this procedure is

banned
due to ground deaths. This information is based on early jet age period.
Toks Desalu

Ive never been pushbacked... EVER in my experience as a PAX.. course i've
never been in a wing engined aircraft either. (MD-80, 727, 717, possibly a
very upgraded DC9 at some point are my trusty steeds. Airports are DFW, CMH,
CINCINATTI, ATL, SAT) From what i understand the greatest threat of damage
from reverse thrusting is to the engines themselves, they stir up a lot of
debris that can be sucked back in really easilly. Wing engines being closer
to the grond are at much higher risk for injesting said depris, while
fuselage engines are generally above the debris.

At the airports ive been to ive routinely seen it done. Only aircraft i've
ever seen get a pushback have been wing engined. Guess its a matter of
convinience to reverse out of parking, but i can see the tug push would be a
lot cheaper if you had the time to wait for it (how much does it cost to run
the engines up for 30 seconds versus a diesle or electric truck pushing back
for same period of time?)