Old June 28th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default U-2 pilots: allowed to rejoin- into BOP story

On Jun 28, 11:52 am, "a425couple" wrote:
"Michael Shirley" wrote

Matt Wiser wrote:
--documentary on the History Channel about the U-2 and
they had several of the pilots recruited by the CIA from
the USAF to fly the missions. Once the AF asserted
control of the U-2s from the CIA, were the Agency pilots
allowed to rejoin the USAF, a la
some of the guys who flew for Air America (or similar outfits)?

I could be wrong, probably should keep quiet,
but maybe can add my understanding & a thought process.
I've added two relevant newsgroups.

Those that wanted to, yes.

I'd certainly agree with that.

They were sheep dipped,
(which means that they were wearing CIA colors of convenience).

First line has interesting term, second is mostly fine.

They weren't really out of the Air Force anyway.

Ahhh? Correctness of above depends on reader's
interpretation, (and kinda on how things turn out).

While I was in the USMC, I got to know well enough
a salty, quite competent SNCO. He once related to me
a story of a kinda similar type thing.
His story as best I can recall with current wording:
"So as the 1960's started I was happy I'd found a
good life in the Corps. Far better than life in my
neighborhood (he was Hispanic). I enjoyed life as a corporal (?)
and the Corps felt I was a good leader and a good trainer.
Then an officer I trusted pulled me aside and took
me to hear a person trying to recruit me for something
else. It sounded interesting, but risky to me to get out of
the Corps. I asked questions, but all the officer would say
is, "You know the Marines will alway take care of their own."
I took that as good enough guarantee --!?--
and went for it. I was discharged and my file was closed.
So then I was at this camp trying to do my best to train this
rather strange group.

"The mission/invasion real quickly became a total clusterf-k!
We were so pinned down, couldn't dig foxholes, I just
kept my head down and wiggled my way lower and lower
in the sand. Gradually it became clear that we were not
going to get support, and this was not likely to get better.
Seemed like a horrible fate, get killed or captured, and
the record was clear - I'd left the Marines, forgotten loyalty
to USA, and gone and joined a crazy whacko group
as a mercinary.

"As the day wore on there was a bit of a lull, I told
my people what I was going to try - and they could stay
where they were in 'hull defilade' in the sand or try it
with me. I crawled back down to the water, then kept
going.

"I switched to a back float and just kept slowly kicking.
I felt surprised and very happy as I got out 100-200-300
yards. I was mostly out of range and I had not been hit.
Then realized, I had no realistic goal! But it was
good to be just alive and swimming, so just kept going
for hours. Comtemplated life and choices.
Really surprised me when much later I bumped into
a ship's small boat. They had spotted me and decided
to check me out. Good guys and I was saved.
I'd made it in good shape out of Cuba's Bay of Pigs.

"I enlisted back into the Corps. Got fast tracked back
to and above my prior rank. I ain't gonna leave it again!"

Heck, I'll admit I'm not 100% positive about the exact truth
positive in many things. I believed this story then, and now.
But, I'll accept, there is always the possibility this SNCO
was just telling me a 'sea story'. Except he did not start
it with the obligatory "Now this is no ****!"
Comments or other opinions on this are welcomed.

- I gather that means time "on loan" to the Agency counted
- towards promotions, retirement, etc.?

IMHO, certainly in the end result - yes.
But, pretty sure it was not done concurrently
(at timings with 'peers') and quite possible it was not done
immeadiately at 'reentry' - might have been in stages.

Not everybody in the Agency came from the Ivy League

http://dogskinreport.com/sheep-dipped.htm
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...4145-3,00.html
http://ciabook.com/category/glossary/