Old December 30th 03, 06:08 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Mary Shafer
wrote:

Capt. Haynes is retired, by the way, so the jokes about airline
pilots' pay don't apply here. He is a really nice guy, who let NASA
(ok, me) distribute the video tapes of his post-accident presentation
through Usenet some years ago. Hundreds of tapes were made and
thousands of people saw them, all over the world, thanks to him.

Mary -- thanks for putting in the effort to do this. I got a copy
of the transcript that you posted, and I very much enjoyed reading
it.

BTW, did folks read about the DHL Airbus that was hit by a missile
while taking off from Baghdad? They ended up in the same siutation
as UL 232, they lost all flight controls other than engine power,
and managed to turn 180 degrees and land back at the airport
using only differential power. The pilot happened to hear Capt
Al Haynes give a safety seminar a few months ago, and they actually
tried out differential power in the simulator to see if it would
work on the Airbus. In the case of the DHL flight, they did not
get the nose up/down movement problem that the DC-10 had. They
did, however, have a crosswind, and they missed the right parallel
runway. The crew tried to slide over to the left parallel runway,
and caught part of it, but ran off the runway pretty quickly. I
hadn't hear what the final condition of the plane was, but it did
sound like a write-off.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications