Old January 14th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Global Warming/Climate Change

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:34:14 -0800, jacekkobiesa wrote:

IMO 'carbon sequestration' has all the credibility of Bliar's Iraqi
Weapons of Mass Destruction and, like them, is merely spin for ignorant
sheeple.

--
martin@ Â* | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I am sure that you are talking about yourself. Wooow, what a self
criticism. It looks like you are comparing The Weapons of Mass
Destruction issue to the forged climate data from The University of East
Anglia Climate Research Unit?

Read what I wrote a little more carefully. I have not mentioned the CRU
anywhere in this entire thread: feel free to check.

What I am saying is that the various schemes for sequestrating gaseous
carbon dioxide can be seen to be quite unlikely to do anything useful: do
the research and the math and you'll see that suitable storage simply
can't hold anything like enough CO2. However playing round with it will
probably be quite lucrative for some people and undoubtedly has coal
mining money behind it. IMO anybody who claims carbon sequestration can
absorb useful amounts of compressed gaseous carbon dioxide and store it
with guaranteed zero leakage for hundreds or thousands of years is being
as economical with the truth as were those who said the Iraqis had WMD
ready to rock and roll.

Where did you say the CO2 from open cast coal was going to be stored?

Now, if anybody had come up with a scheme to convert CO2 into a
relatively inert, dense solid such as limestone or marble I'd say it had
a good chance of working, but none of the schemes have proposed that. All
those proposed so far either plan to compress gaseous CO2, and hope it
won't leak, or dissolve it in water, which needs huge volumes of water
and/or high pressures with the associated risk of leaks.

May I remind you that even President Bush, with his fossil fuel
extraction connections, saw that carbon sequestration was a losing
proposition: he cancelled funding for FutureGen on the 30th Jan, 2008,
though I see it got revived in June, 2009.

See: http://www.futuregenalliance.org/

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK