Old November 21st 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:57:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 8:55:19 AM UTC-5, RS wrote:
Q: IGC to replace FLARM ? ?
A: No

Following a proposal last year from Germany, IGC and OGN have embarked on a multi-year project to preserve and enhance traffic awareness technology while making tactical tracking as difficult as possible. This will be tricky! Secondary benefits may include reduced costs and live scoring.

Those are mutually exclusive goals. What I've been told is that FLARM use would be optional in IGC contests, while the separate, delayed, tracking devices would be required. Thus pilots who so desire could hide their location. Forcing the pilots to choose between safety and stealth is a bad idea, IMO.

I hear you can choose to turn off Flarm, but you also have to switch to a pellet variometer and a paper map.

King Canute
9B