Old June 28th 05, 06:44 AM
309

Ahh, but the comparison between driving and flying IS relevant! So
much is taught to new and old pilots by analogy, and driving is the
closest thing many have prior to getting in the cockpit.

The risk equations are the same (albeit with different factors or
gains): more speed means more "ouch," closer proximity to
terrain/another vehicle/a wall increases probability of impact. Don't
drive a car very often (currency) and your chances of getting into an
accident increase! Buy equipment you're not used to (that new
Leviathan SUV), and your chances similarly go up. Try to cut that
corner a little quick (stretch a glide???) and you increase the chance
of coming up short.

I'll agree you're correct on the other points: a midair can be just
bad luck, and currency CAN make you a better pilot. But we need to
remember, only perfect practice makes perfect. Proriciency vs. mere
currency? I suspect we're really agreeing with one another. Practice
nothing but zoomies (high speed passes) and you may not be "current" in
something more important at the necessary time. Look at zoomies that
result in gear up landings or (worse), injuries/fatalities.

I pay the CFIG "cop" to help me identify where I'm slipping. And I
agree with you, I'm not flying "enough," either.

Is it really stupid to argue which is safer, driving or flying? I
think it is a relevant comparison as people are taking issue with the
statement that the drive home is more dangerous than the flight...and
making some of us think about what we can do to reduce our personal
risks and (as you suggested), the risks our fellow pilots take.

Peace?

wrote:
I'm not sure what you are taking exception with. The thread had
degenerated into arguing about what was more dangerous: flying or
driving. I can't think of a more irrelevent comparison.

Tom