Old April 15th 04, 02:57 AM
Mark James Boyd

I'm going to guess that the 10,000 repetitions of
opening and closing the dive brakes were what really caused the
bellcrank problem in this case. On the other hand, I'm
not a dig fan of manhandling and potentially
deforming the spoilers on the glass ships either.
If I was smarter and I owned my own ship, I'd
likely investigate the best places to apply pressure which
would't damage anything even when repeated 10000 times...

In article ,
Chris Nicholas wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote: [snip] " . . . during a PCC a bellcrank broke and
this was caused by the pressure exerted by the "helper."
Nice to have this happen on the ground, and I can't
think of how this could have been detected without
a PCC. So now I think a PCC is useful too..."

Having a helper exert this much force is good???

How much is too much? There's really no manual for this, and
the POH doesn't even mention PCC... This area could
use a bit of advice from sailplane manufacturers/materials
engineers...

I retain my renegade attitude to PCC's - they may be suitable for some
things if done right (and breaking gliders is not doing it right in my
book - the above is not an isolated example) but other checks are far
more useful, and less damaging, for some gliders, e.g. my Ka6E.

--

Mark Boyd