Old May 22nd 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Cobra Top Hinge Bolt Failure - Revisit

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:09:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Interesting. Okay, well, mine has both a wimpy side rail and
an angle to deal with so I have the worst of all worlds.
Correct there is a compressive load component but because of the
angle I have vertical component. The resultant is a vector
load that is not aligned with the side rail, hence the torsio
component I am having to deal with that twists the rail.

Aarrggg - I see. The bits line up better in my trailer,
consequently only minor torque.

I have no choice but to add a cross member. What can you do,
Spindelberger had a design flaw that exposes itself over time.

Right. The best solution would be remove the top and reinforce
the corner - not so easy ! Which is how I arrived at the solution
for my trailer - I could implement this without an overhead hoist.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave