Old August 18th 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Standards for competition reporting

I don't think you need to be logged in to facebook to view a public facebook page - as Sean said above.

For example, try this : https://www.facebook.com/SeanTiff7T/

I am completely logged out of facebook, and I can see it just fine.

In a lot of ways, facebook is a more appropriate for competition reporting than most websites are - the process of updating content (reports, photos, videos etc) is must simpler, and can be shared very easily among a group of people.

I understand that a lot of people have reasons for choosing not to create a facebook account. A lot of facebook content is undoubtedly pointless, and there are certainly a lot of people on facebook displaying validation seeking behaviour. On the other hand, it's also a very useful tool for keeping in touch with the activities of various gliding people that I have met in real life at various events (ie. Garret Willat, Tony Condon, etc). Beats waiting for the magazine to come out.

Anyway, the good news is that not having a facebook account doesn't stop you from being able to view content on public pages.

Cheers,
Nick Gilbert.

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 11:41:20 AM UTC+9:30, wrote:
I gleefully refuse FB. :-)

Anyway my point was that FB users should be aware that a "public" FB page cannot be used as a substitute for a web site, if your intention is to reach a general audience without requiring them to be logged into FB. I seem to remember that it used to be possible, but FB has since clamped down on this "misuse" of its resources.