Old August 18th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Standards for competition reporting

I forgot to suggest protocols for tracking. While this is a heated topic among many, tracking has exploded in Europe and elsewhere and has lead to greater promotion and interest in the sport.

Sean Fidler has spent a lot of time researching the issue from a technical standpoint. While I haven't had a chance to speak with him lately, I fully support the concept of live tracking in racing.

I realize some think this is a tool used solely for leaching but tracking is what makes this sport visual to everyone else who isn't competing. The sport will die unless we start replacing Baby-Boomers with GenX and Millenials fast! This is one way to generate interest in a sport you cannot see from the ground except in limited circumstances, and at the start and finish points of the race.

In any case, a link to a live tracking site, preferably one adopted by the rest of the world would be appropriate on each and every contest's information page and corresponding website.

- Chris Schrader