Old September 26th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 10:36:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
We should just ban gliding. Between the horror of Elmira Death Hooks and causing spilled drinks on flying cattle cars gliding is just too dangerous for the modern world.

I hope the rest of the gliding community in the USA has a more responsible and serious attitude to safety than your spilt drinks comment implies you do.

I have expected glider pilots were more responsible, but if attitudes about safety issues that affect airliners really are this flippant then the FAA needs remove glider transponder and ADS-B Out exemptions ASAP. To hell with all the operators that will harm that don't fly near busy airspace, lets regulate it because of irresponsible pilots and attitudes like you show.

We don't know exactly what happened here yet, don't know for sure if the glider had a working transponder or not, or how close the aircraft came, but this incident should be a reminder to the very real risk that gliders can pose to an airliner, and should remind us that transponders provide an effective safety net.

I notice the glider port where it looks you fly from is located between two VORs, maybe not airline traffic but I would expect lots of IFR traffic transiting there. I hope that operation/club is paying more attention to mid-air collision risk safety than it seems you do from these comments.