Old October 15th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

You, or someone similar, posted the same site for new friction material.
If it was you, thanks again.

Not sure of any FAA implications using a different friction material, but yes, it can make a big difference.
Some sailplanes I have flown/dealt with, one hard braking event meant basically no brakes until "massaged". This could be skuffing the shoes, sanding the drums.
Again, one hard brake event, brakes were basically useless after that.
Wash, rinse, repeat......

Worst was a "band brake" against the tire (SGS-1-26), Tost brakes are a bit better, but I call them "toast brakes" since they seem to need work after a hard stop to maintain efficiency.