Old November 29th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default Paint removal from canopy?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:56:35 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 12:04:05 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
Is there a solvent that will remove rattle can paint without damaging the plexy?

Gary, unless it is Latex, almost any paint contains some solvent(s)
that attack plexi. This means a spot is not just on the surface, but
has damaged the plastic below the surface. You may end up having
to remove more material than you like to get rid of the "spot"...

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: Before touching a real canopy, grab some scrap plexi, and spray
a few spots with the offending paint. Then test removal...

Excellent advice Dave, I have omitted a practice step on a lot of things, canopy crack repair being one example. I could have had dramatically better results had I practiced on sample material.

A few years ago a non-glider guy rattle canned a Cessnas wing tips in the hangar and over sprayed my glider. the faintest misting from 30 feet, but resulted in a dappled surface detectable by feel. As I had refinished this particular glider only a few years before, I was quite ****ed. however in desperation, I tried 'clay barring', I followed the instructions and was both amazed and relieved as it removed the tiny spots of paint, restoring a smooth surface. If the overspray on wavegurus canopy is a continuous coat "clay barring" won't help, but if it is a misting of tiny paint drops it's worth a try. I had great results.

Good luck,
Scott.