Old April 16th 04, 04:18 PM
Roy Smith

In article .net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Rod Madsen" wrote in message
.. .

I'm wondering. If you're already at the proper altitude and on the
localizer, why not?

I'm wondering how you came to be on the localizer at the proper altitude
without either a radar vector or a NoPT segment or out of a holding fix.

Let's say you're 20 miles out, bearing 162 to HPN (i.e. 5 NW of FARAN,
see http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/00651I16.pdf).
The controller says, "Cruise 3000, radar service terminated, frequency
change approved, have a nice night".

A strict interpretation of the rules says that if I wanted to fly the
ILS-16, I should either fly to IGN and fly the NoPT segment from there,
or fly to HESTR and do a PT. A more rational approach would be to just
drop down to 2000 at FARAN, then follow the published procedure from
that point. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that anything else
would be absurd.