Old December 6th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Confusion

On Dec 1, 2:38 am, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ...

That would be somewhat odd for a controller to release you at a
tower'd field but not clear you for take off. The phrase we need to
hear is 'cleared for takeoff'.

If you want to hear "cleared for takeoff" you should say something that
clearly tells the tower you're ready for takeoff, "ready for takeoff" or
"ready for departure" do that, "ready for release" doesn't do that.

I thought I already did. I told tower I was "ready for takeoff runway
XXX". Tower said "Cleared for take off", I said "what about that big
airliner on final, tower said, "oh I though you were at the VFR
runway, YYY, hold short XXX". This was at a class C airport.

Reporting "ready for departure" instead of "ready for takeoff" had nothing
to do with the controller's mistake about your location.

Unless the tower is used to getting departure releases for VFR
aircraft I would hope it would give him enough pause to not make the
mistake. In any case, since I've used this phrase I've not had a
problem. I did have a controller once say "oh, your IFR".

-Robert