Old July 27th 12, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Why is total energy difficult using delta pitot pressure?

On Friday, July 27, 2012 1:35:01 AM UTC-7, Jim White wrote:
At 23:17 23 July 2012, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>On 7/23/2012 1:18 PM, Steve Koerner wrote:
>
>The triple probe is usually in the prop wash of a self-launcher,
>rendering it almost worthless under power. Using the fuselage
>pitot/static avoids that problem. That's why I do it, but I'm not sure
>the original poster had in mind.
>
>--
Why do you need total energy when running your engine?

Because you want to find lift, put the noise maker away and go soaring. An electronic compensated C302 works great for doing that while under power as described. The -MG version of the 302 with loud external speaker mounted near the pilot's head can be heard over engine noise/and through most headsets.

Darryl