Old May 7th 04, 02:07 AM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:51:36 +1000, Aerophotos
wrote:

Well thats news to me..... as i have several personal photos showing
clearly 69-7207 with last sam kill in gulf with harm.

How did you manage that? You got personal photos meaning you were
there for the last SAM kill? You must mean that you possess some
photos from someone else, don't you?

SAM killing business has a tendency to be somewhat hazardous and high
workload. I don't think I recall ever seeing a photo of an actual SAM
kill with any kind of missile in which you could:

1. Know the aircraft tail number from the photo (rather than later
documentation.)
2. Know that the shot being taken in the photo was going to be
successful.
3. Know that a confirmed kill was achieved by any particular shot.
4. Know that a particular confirmed kill was going to be the last one
in a war.

Probable kills are one thing. Confirmed SAM kills--meaning the site is
destroyed--are usually the result of more than an ARM impact.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press