Old February 19th 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

I have three K2 9.6 AH Lifepo4 batteries. I used a West Mountain Radio battery tester. Two of the batteries showed 8.7 and 8.5 AH for a full discharge (test cutoff at 10 volts) at 2.5 amp discharge rate. That seemed reasonable; however, the last battery showed 7 AH and that seemed low. These batteries are all two years old. I spoke with K2 Battery technical service and they suggested that the lower capacity battery could be improved by several complete discharge and recharge cycles. I did three complete discharge and recharge cycles on that battery and it improved to 8.83 AH. So it does appear that that strategy does indeed improve their capacity. I did the same exercise on the other two batteries and they improved slightly to 8.9 and 8.7.

David
ASG29E BV