Old March 11th 04, 10:59 PM
JDupre5762

2.) Are there certain years/models to stay away from.

There are still some early models with wooden tail groups around. I would stay
away from those unless my A&P was really current on inspecting and repairing
wooden structures.

One common problem is leaks from the wet wing. This can grow from a mere
annoyance to a serious problem. If they need to be resealed find someone with
current experience on doing the job right.

Oil changes are easily an hour to two hours more than any other aircraft. The
filter or screen is tough to get to and almost impossible to remove without
spilling all over the engine compartment. If you add the suction screen as
well that could be another hour.

Do yourself a favor and find a really good Mooney shop for your first annual.
Make sure they really go through the gear system. If done right once it should
be trouble free for a number of years.

I knew of one Mooney owner who brought his to a really expert Mooney shop every
three years for a top notch annual and let his regular shop do the intervening
two annuals. Seemed to me to be a good compromise between safety and the
pocket book.

John Dupre'