Old September 18th 03, 01:46 PM
Robertmudd1u

In article ,
(Shaber CJ) writes:

When I first
traveled to an eastern block country I was amazed at how much disinformation
our ministry of information had polluted the American public with.

I lived in Lithuania from Jan. 1995 to Oct.1999, this was just a few years
after they had declared their independence from the Soviet Union. I was amazed
at how the U.S. education system and official U.S. information understated the
problems these people had to deal with and the brutality of the Soviet system.
Life there was far harsher, lacking of many of what we consider necessities of
life, than I was prepared for or could have imagined. Bananas had been
considered an exotic fruit because they were so rarely found in the stores,
toilet paper, well that is another story. Construction standards for housing
did not exist, simple safety precautions we take for granted did not exist. I
could go on and on.

These people suffered horrors and deprivation under the Soviet system that we
still can not understand. The people themselves were warm and wonderful to
know, but the system they had lived under for 50+ years was rotten to the core
and no wimpy revisionist history ****** can change that.

Robert Mudd