Old December 20th 05, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default Electronic review of flight?

"Al" writes:

GPS would be great, but how about attitude info?

Have you seen the "HSI simulators" on modern handheld GPS systems? There
is a lot you can do with the data from a GPS, especially if you're just
trying to play back an instrument approach. The attitude can be estimated
fairly well from GPS data unless you're doing loops on the localizer.

I don't know if any of the current systems
offer a USB port or SD card slot for output. It would seem an easy thing to
sample the GPS/Airdata/Ratedata every couple of ms and put it out to a
card/port.

I'm more of a build-it-myself (instead of wait-for-some-manufacturer-to-
want-to-do-it) kind of guy. I use a Garmin module with an RS-232 output.
I also have a Bluetooth GPS. Either could easily go to something like my
Gumstix
http://www.gumstix.com/products.html
which could capture the data to an SD. (I originally bought the Gumstix
to capture cockpit audio for my wife's research project. 'twould be fun
to hook it up to record from the intercom for your application too.)

By the way Kyler, I have for several years enjoyed your sectionals.

I appreciate hearing that. I should be resuming the updates soon. It
took awhile of subscription lapse to learn that people (besides simulator
guys) were using them and I'm working with a sponsor to resubscribe.

--kyler