Old November 6th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Default Diagnostic questions

wrote:

Sounds like crap in the fuel system that has found it's way in to the idle
jets in the carb (assuming carburetor). Not unusual for for a car that has
been sitting for years. Expected given that you found crap in the screen...

Runs OK cold (choke on) not ok warm (choke off) - sounds like carb plugged
up.

You could try a can of fuel system cleaner from the wishfull thinking isle
in the auto parts store, but more likely you are going to end up pulling
out the carb, soaking in parts cleaner, blowing out, etc... before you get
it to run right.

Look for "sea foam" in the "wishfull thinking aisle" - available at
NAPA and other fine auto parts stores - and as fuel system cleaners
go, it works pretty well.

Ha! I had tried two or three potions in the oil to fix a stuck noisy lifter.
Then on a tip, I tried Sea Foam - and bingo! All went quiet - and stayed
quiet ever since. (it's true a gasket came loose where the sea foam took
out the gasket cement I suspect! :-)

Brian W