Old January 16th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

On Jan 16, 5:07*am, kontiki wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Maybe this is different to me because I live in a fog valley. Today I
shoot 6 approaches. Weather was reported as 001OVC and 1/8SM. This is
pretty common weather here. I easily could have landed from any of the
approaches. Flying over the rabbit I clearly could see far enough of
the runway to land.

If you could see that far the Vis was better than 1/8 SM. Maybe
the AWOS visibility sensor needs to be recalibrated.

No, it looked like about 1/8 mile. Not sure why the FAA requires 1/2
mile if you can already see the runway.

-Robert