Old July 2nd 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Round vs Square E-Chute

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:08:37 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 9:16:18 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I forgot to mention - my wife had our master rigger add toggles to her
National 360.Â* By looking at the manual I think they're optional.

On 6/25/2018 3:59 AM, wrote:
I was looking at a friend's round emergency chute over the weekend which was open for inspection - no toggles. It also had no quick release clips to release the chute from the harness - so being dragged by the wind is a likely event. The cute had the most basic modification - just a mesh area at the back of the chute to impart some sort of forward motion. The consensus by the skydivers who were watching the packer inspect it is it will get a pilot down alive. The packer called it a "controlled bounce".

Does an emergency square have toggles?

Clinton

--
Dan, 5J

Anyone know if the sport aerobatic pilots use square or round? Way back in the 1990's all the sport aerobatic guys and us war bird guys all flew with round chutes, never even heard a debate on the subject.
Dave mentioned that he deployed his cute while he was face up. Are rounds more forgiving to the position from which they are deployed?

The top acro guys use squares, hobby acro pilots use what's laying around or what they've been sold, same as most glider pilots. Freefall students have been deploying square parachutes in all sorts of body positions for over 30 years, plus over thirty years of unstable square reserve deployments by experienced skydivers. Hundreds of thousands of unstable deployments. If they were worse we'd know. The only reason to sit on a round is because you already have one or you are buying one(cheap) second hand. Squares do everything better.