Old September 15th 03, 11:29 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Chad Lemmen wrote:

: I'm wiring some avionics that use shielded wire that needs to have the
: shield terminated into a connector. Is it best to solder a wire to the
: shield or crimp a wire to the shield so that I can put a connector pin on it?
Chad, what I've seen done, and what I did, is:
1) Trim shield, twist, making it about 1/2 inch long.
2) Fold twisted shield back along the multiconductor wire, away from the
connector.
3) Solder a short length of 22ga wire to the shield so that it extends
in the same direction as the internal wires.
4) Use a piece of heat shrink over the folded back shield, solder joint, and
the trimmed multiconductor outer insulation.

This worked very well for me, and has been working for years now.

PS, remember to connect the shield at ONE END ONLY unless it's being used
as a ground (or the directions say to connect both ends).
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)