Old October 27th 03, 12:23 PM
Lou Parker

Del Rawlins wrote in message ...
On 26 Oct 2003 06:24 PM, Lou Parker posted the following:
Can anyone tell me the truth? When I read articles about the
difference between the two woods, the information says that fir is 23%
stronger than spruce. When I talk to people they say only 10%. Anyone
got a handle on this?

The difference between the two, is that sitka spruce will often forgive
less than perfect technique, while doug fir will split if you so much as
think the wrong thoughts about it. Sometimes even if you don't. Spruce,
on the other hand, is a joy to work with. A few years ago I turned some
unairworthy citabria spars into parts for a canoe. Still hoarding the
one leftover spar for future use. 8^)

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

Does that mean that after building my plane with fir instead of spruce
that I should be able to up my cruise speed, max speed and everything
else by 20%?
Lou