Old October 5th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Andrew Chaplin

Default USMC declares AH-1Z Viper combat ready

Typhoon502 wrote in news:66b90417-2935-4178-97a4-
:

On Oct 4, 10:49*am, Chris wrote:
On Oct 2, 2:21*am, Daryl Hunt wrote:

You would think that the Apache Long Bow could take on a Cobra
heads up. *While the Apache was progressing so was the Cobra.
And the Cobra is still more agile and nimble being much lighter.

I don't believe that chopper's air-to-air capability matters that
much. Before they could get into a merge they would have to survive
all of the fighters, air defense and golden BB's that are a much
bigger concern than another chopper's dogfighting ability. And for
that, the Cobra has a smaller profile so it should be less vulnerable
to BB's, but they are both equally vulnerable to fighters, MANPADs,
Shilkas, etc.

A2A performance provides a good overall picture of the airframe's
speed and agility, which definitely matters in overall operational
use. One other thing about Cobras...they are HARD to spot at range if
they're heading toward or away from you and from the side perspective
at a distance, they're very Hueyish. Apaches are overall easier to ID.

As a long time a/c recce wienie, I think there is very little difficulty
in identifying a Cobra side-on. As you say, it's a challenge from the
front--never worried about it from behind.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO