Old July 10th 04, 05:36 PM
Issac Goldberg

ojunk (Mike Weeks) wrote:
(Issac Goldberg) wrote:

All the material going to Congress never indicated that the IDF attacked

this
ship, knowing her to be US, let alone one named the USS Liberty.

What material are you talking about? Are you saying Congress did
investigate whether the attack on the USS Liberty was intentional?
Which Congressional committee conducted that investigation?

Read Cristol's book, chapter 12: "America Investigates."

A nice evasion. I ask which Committee, and Weeks again says,
"read Cristol." [The reason Weeks needed to evade my question
is because Congress NEVER held an investigation which looked
into the question of whether the attack on the Liberty was
intentional or not. And I'm sure in response to this post,
Weeks will again evade the question and respond with even
more insults, name calling and character assassination. It's
what he does best.]

Here are some comments by Senators at one of the alleged
investigations cited by Cristol, the hearings on the Foreign
Assistance Act of 1967, held by the Senate Foreign Relations
Committee in 1967 (after the Kidd inquiry had issued its
report):

start

Senator Hickenlooper: I think it was a deliberate assault on this
ship. I think they had ample opportunity to identify it as an
American ship. I may be utterly wrong, but I do recall that some
time ago we had some difficulties in the Bay of Tonkin where at
night without full identification or really full proof it was
assumed that certain torpedo boats made rather menacing approaches
to one of our destroyers and we rushed over here with the Tonkin
Bay resolution right away. A war was unleashed.
What have we done about the Liberty? Have we become so placid,
so far as Israel is concerned or so far as that area is concerned,
that we will take the killing of 37 American boys and the
wounding of a lot more and the attack of an American ship in the
open sea in good weather? We have seemed to say: "Oh, well, boys
will be boys." What are you going to do about it! It is most
offensive to me.

Senator Hickenlooper: It is inconceivable to me that the ship
could not have been identified. According to everything I saw
the American flag was flying on this ship. It had a particular
configuration. Even a landlubber could look at it and see that
it has no characteristic configuration comparable to the so-called
Egyptian ship they now try to say they mistook it for. If these
people were as well trained as they allege they are, and did what
they did, I don’t know. It just doesn’t add up to me. It is not
at all satisfactory.

Senator Aiken: I think, not only the committee, but the public
wants better information than they have had so far.

Senator Hickenlooper: The public is thoroughly dissatisfied
with the situation. I don’t know. It is the seemingly cavalier
attitude expressed by Israel in some ways apparently accepted
by us on a very tragic situation. I think there is utterly no
excuse for it.

end

If this is your best evidence that Congress thoroughly
investigated whether the attack on the Liberty was
intentional or not, both you and Cristol have thoroughly
discredited yourselves. But prove me wrong, tell me
which Congressional Committee held hearings and
investigated whether the attack on the Liberty was
an accident.