Old May 18th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default FAA Control tower Abandoned

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

The FAA spokesman said at least one of the Southwest flights missed an
approach. Did they begin an approach when the observed weather was below
minimums?

Probably not, I doubt they'd pull anything that blatant so short a time
after the Midway incident. Maybe the fog was just rolling in; there
must be more to that story.

I can only find one of the flights on FlightAware, SWA946 departed BWI
at 11:57pm EDT and landed back at BWI at 12:38am. It seems to have
turned around a bit past halfway between Trenton and Manhattan.

SWA1729 arrived at PVD (and I suppose landed) at 11:51pm and COA163
arrived at 1:36am that night.

I thought there were only two SWA flights. If a SWA flight landed at PVD at
11:57 and another SWA flight returned to BWI before it was past Manhattan
then what SWA flight missed an approach at PVD?