Old January 18th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Default "Requesting lower"

In article . com,
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:

Cancel IFR 100nm out? At 120 knots that's almost an hour outside your
destination.

So?

So what' s the point of filing IFR if you're going to cancel an hour
outside your destination just because you want lower?

-Robert, CFII

I was joking a little when I suggested "Cancel IFR", but only a little.
IFR gives you certain advantages and certain disadvantages. Unlike the
airlines, us part 91 guys get to pick whether operating under VFR or IFR
works more to our advantage. Sometimes, the easiest way to get what you
want is to cancel.

In this specific case, however, the scenario as put to us was that the
pilot expected that center would be able to grant him anything he wanted.
So, he should just ask for what he wants. As I remember, he was looking to
get down to 5000 from his current 11,000, but slowly. Any of the following
would probably work and allow him to keep his IFR if that's what he wanted:

"Request cruise 11,000".

"Request block 5000 to 11,000" (somewhat silly).

"Request pilot's discretion down to 5000"

"Hey center, I'd like to start a nice slow descent down to 5000, you cool
with that?"