Old February 26th 04, 04:18 PM
Casey Wilson

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
t...

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
t...

"Newps" wrote in message
news:OU1%b.57647$4o.76032@attbi_s52...

Scott wrote:

Can the approach be flown leagally by requesting alternate
missed approach instructions that don't require and ADF?

Now that's a great question. I suppose ATC can override anything

really.

There is no situation where the plate says ADF required that GPS

cannot
substitute. And yes ATC can come up with alternate missed

instructions.

Um, filing that airport as the alternate (when you are required to

have
an
alternate) (assuming it is the only approach) and you do not have an

ADF
is
one example I can think of.

Hmmm, I have a problem with this. Aren't you risking a slap on the wrist

if
you file an airport as an alternate KNOWING that you didn't have the
required equipment to begin with. Not to mention that you are playing

with
your next birthday. Note, I'm not talking about an enroute failure of

the
instrument.

I am not sure you understood my point. The poster I replied to says an

IFR
GPS can replace ADF any time. I suggested that is not the case.
Specifically, filing for an alternate that has an approach that says "ADF
required" when you do not have an ADF installed (even if you have a gps)

and
there are no other approaches suitable is not legal. You can't

substitute
GPS for ADF for an alternat apprch. (filed)

I think you have come to the same conclusion, though not in the same way?

Well, in did misunderstand your point -- but, now that you've clarified
it, I disagree. My interpretation is that an IFR approved GPS will stand in
for the ADF "at any time." (Quote marks are mine for emphasis.) In other
words, if the airplane is IFR GPS equipped, it does not need an ADF for that
alternate to be valid when filing the flight plan.
I got the impression that the pilot intended to file with a known faulty
ADF and no GPS with the intention of requesting a modified missed-approach
for the alternate -- if he needed to go there.
I'm probably reading into the subject. We need a FSDO to answer this
one.