Old January 26th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intercepting the ILS

In article .com,
" wrote:

The altitude for glideslope interception is 1800 ( underlined ).

... So [during IPC] I just tootled along at 2000 - figuring it was
simpler to do one configuration change at GS interception rather than
three changes - one to descend the 200 feet, another to level off,
and a third to intercept the glideslope.

The new CFII criticized this procedure and told me that the plate
specified 1800, and it was wrong to intercept at 2000. Which one
was right?

You (and your old CFI) were.

1800 is the minimum altitude; that's why it's underlined only on the
bottom of the number on the NACO charts. If it were mandatory, it
would have lines above and below (or the word "Mandatory" on Jepp
charts), and you would have to go down to 1800.

I use the same technique you did every day flying for my airline.
Making an unnecessary 200' step-down-and-level-off is a waste of time
and effort, and makes more motion for the passengers to feel.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI