Old November 28th 03, 06:31 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
So you're blaming the guy for correctly using a well-defined word
for the community in which he's dealing to differentiate between
two very different things? That's an especially interesting
attitude from a pilot.

Why so extreme? Nothing to do with being a pilot.

The only real difference between a reserve and a high opening bid is that
one is frequently hidden and the other is in the open.

I recently bought my first item on eBay. There was no reserve and
the starting bid was $750. It didn't take me too long to figure
out what that meant and I didn't whine about the use of "reserve"
to mean exactly what it means.

Who's the one "whining" now? I know exactly how eBay works and when I bid
(or choose not to) I do so with a full understanding of the rules and
definitions in place. Unless I really need something (and how much "stuff"
do we *really* need?) I tend to not bid in eBay auctions with a reserve
price but have no problem with those that have a specific starting bid, even
if significant.

But when someone loudly exclaims "No Reserve!," this to me is edging too
close to inferring a no minimim, absolute auction and this just seems a tad
deceptive to me.

Don't know why you seem so bent out of shape on this. It's just my
lighthearted, informal feeling on a rather inconsequencial detail of a small
part in the greater scheme of things.

Peter