Old March 29th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Default Hershey bar wing vs composite wing - how much drag?

DR wrote:
Hi,

I don't see why a composite should be heavier:

For carbon composite, the Young's modulus is ~70GPa for a density of 1.3
g/cm3. Al has the same Young's modulus but twice the density (2.7
g/cm3). For glass the strength is about half but again the weight is
halved too -so it's not a gain over Al. I think the composites excel in
their lack of rivets and joining pieces tho...

Last I knew, Young's modulus was a measure of stiffness, not strength.

Matt