Old June 15th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Cordele...hello?

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 5:02:39 AM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:13:04 PM UTC-4, Glider RN wrote:
Agree it would be nice to see daily reports on the SSA site.

However, Andreea put up a number of nice videos on facebook sometimes several per day. She deserves a lot of credit for the time and effort being creative and testing this different approach.

Please don't post to FB! Not everyone has a FB account and reading about the contest will not make me opening one, either. The SSA has a website that we - the SSA members - pay for and I would appreciate reading the updates there. I am not sure if there is a difference in time & effort between posting to FB and the SSA site, though.

Uli
'AS'

Social media works fine and is easy for the most part and allows sharing of interesting content far beyond the soaring community, so there is an upside. Those organizing SSA sanctioned events at the regional and national level are supposed to list Contest Personnel on the Sanction Application. We have so few willing to host regional and national contests, that posting to the SSA web site for archival purposes languishes due to lack of volunteers, though it is not difficult as a process. Online Internet access from many sites is poor to non-existent and overloaded when 65 pilots/crews show up to strain the local bandwidth. Smart phone capabilities have pushed this trend.

Digital media is a shifting paradigm and social media a component of that. Twitter is in wide use in Europe.

Yes, the SSA server a member asset. It was migrated late last year to a more current operation system and , a process that took about five weeks of voluntary and paid effort and increased hosting costs. We might express that to contest organizers to include use of the server in their planning. Each member also has personal blog space. Members may also subscribe to RSS feeds to each area of the web site for notifications of posting regarding SSA programs, committees, and members. This in one place where it can be archived and is backed up regularly.

Frank Whiteley