Old December 8th 03, 09:26 PM
Gene Nygaard

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:02:03 -0600, Russell Kent
wrote:

Russell Kent wrote:

Those that point out the mistakes of others would do well to mind their own.

Gene Nygaard responded:

Heed your own advice, fool.

On entirely too many occasions I am indeed a fool, but I don't see where
devolving to name calling improves the conversation.

I see that even that wasn't enough to get your attention, Chicolini.

How big a bat do I need to hit you over the head with to get your
attention?

Besides gently (IMHO)
chastising the intervening poster's rant, I still provided a useful answer to
the original poster's question (12+ cu. ft.) and a reference to the source.

Yes, you got that right. Too bad nobody will pat you on the back for
it, because you obscured it with irrelevant nonsense, and even worse,
an incorrect claim of error on someone else's part.

Russell Kent continued:

Pounds (lbs.) are a measure of weight, not mass (which in the English system
would be slugs).

Gene Nygaard responded:

Where'd you get that idea?

Uh, 2 years of high school physics (a jillion years ago). Perhaps a few web
references will help clear the cobwebs:

If you found those references, you also found many that got it right.

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Slug.html

Slugs are units of mass. That's not what I'm calling you on.

But that little-used 20th century invention, which didn't even appear
in physics textbooks before 1940, are by no stretch of the imagination
_the_ units of mass in "the English system."

Pounds force also exist, but that's also beside the point.

Back up your claim that pounds are not units of mass. That's where
you falsely claimed that Dave S. was making an error.

--
Gene Nygaard
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/

"It's the things you do know