Old June 25th 04, 08:02 PM
Marco Leon

Stand down there Steve. Why are you so harsh? I think Robert had a
legitimate question and it partially applies to Cherokee drivers (although
putting very heavy bags in the baggage area of many Cherokee models isn't a
great idea). Also, I'm sure he would have thought up a better subject in
which to slam Bo and Cessna models.

BTW, I heard--probably from this newsgroup--that the Mooney tail design was
for better handling at higher angles of attack (say in a flare).

Marco

"Steve Robertson" wrote in message
Why would anyone build a plane with manual gear and hydraulic flaps, like
many Moonys? Why would anyone build a plane with only one door like
Cherokees, Moneys, and most Beechcraft? Why would anyone build a plane
with the wing on top? Why would anyone build a plane with the wing on the
bottom? Why ... ?

Look, I think your question is probably a tounge-in-cheek jab at Bonanza
drivers. But it comes off as pretty close to being a troll. It would be
pretty impractical to put a top hinged baggage door on a Bone because the
top of fuselage is several feet higher off the ground than a Mooney. Maybe
Cessna could have done it, but I suspect the engineering and production
costs of such a feature would result in a higher price.

By the way, why do they stick the tail on backwards on Mooneys?

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft A23-24 Musketeer Super III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

The other day I saw a guy drive up to his Bonanza with a car load of
bags. This is something I've done for years in my Mooney but many
years since I've flown a Bonanza or Cessna. In my Mooney, the baggage
door opens at the top of the cabin (the door is long enough that it
goes down to the middle and opens like a clam shell, much like a car's
trunk). I can easily load heavey bag on top of heavy bag in the Mooney
by dropping them down on top of each other. How did I do it back in
the Bonanza days? It looks like I must have had to load a bag in the
bottom door , reach in, hold that bag up and then slide another bag
under it. Or perhaps I climbed in through the back seat and loaded the
bags that way.

How do most of the Bonanza/Cessna pilots here do it? Why would anyone
put a baggage door on the bottom of the baggage area. Its like loading
your truck though a little hole near the license plate on your car.

-Robert

http://www.usenet.com